Friday, January 8, 2010

Date Night with My Favorite Girl

Dallas always has something to do. Its just not always something I want to do. So keeping date night with the wife interesting can be a challenge sometimes. So when she was offered tickets to tonight's Dallas Symphony Orchestra Perfomance at the Meyerson, I affirmed without hesitation.
My love for music knows no boundaries. So I generally look foward to hearing something I don't listen to regularly. I have a cursory love for symphonies. However, I do prefer symphonic music with full brass and percussion sections - being an old band man myslef. My record collection includes the likes of YoYo Ma, baroque joints by Wynton Marsalis and classical work from Branford Marsalis as well.
We were treated to the DSO's renditions of Beethoven's Symphony No. 4 and Schumann's Symphony No. 4. I can't say I was familiar with either one. But I will say I enjoyed them both immensely. Beethoven was mild and melodic. Schumann's was quite lively throughout. Also, there was a world premier of a Concerto for Viola and Orchestra commissioned by DSO by composer Margaret Brouwer. I can't say that I enjoyed that at all. But I will acknowledge my limited experience and understanding of classical pieces of this magnitue. The performance was conducted by Paul Phillips. He is currently an educator at Southern Methodist University.

All in all, the wife and I had a great time with the music. This is the second time I've visited the Meyerson in three months. And I always enjoy the time I get to spend there. It is an excellent space and the acoustics make the experience that much more enjoyable.

In March, from the 5th - 7th, Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra will be visiting.

We'll be there...meet us for drinks before...and after.

No comments:

Post a Comment