Monday, October 5, 2009

John Legend at the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Hall


Dallas, Texas, October 5, 2009


I’ve ventured into the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center at least once every couple of years since it was opened. I have yet to see the Dallas Symphony Orchestra or any other classical offering. Still I love the venue and its non classical product has been top notch. From Roy Hargrove, the Marsalis Brothers, Wynton and Branford to tonight and the incomparable song styling of Grammy Award winner JOHN LEGEND.


The Meyerson lent its perfect acoustics to one of the premier artist of the neo-soul, rhythm and blues era. With regard to non-classical product the Meyerson is a real gem in the city and the inside of the hall is beautiful! And it lends ambiance to any date night.


Whenever I’ve been to the Meyerson for one of the many non-classical concerts, I have been impressed with the diversity of the audiences. I was especially impressed with the diversity at this particular concert. John Legend doesn’t exactly inspire thoughts of the more mature, less urban crowd, but they were there in numbers seemingly enjoying the concert. I mean if you include standing, cheering and mouthing the words to the songs in your definition of enjoying the concert.


Style is surely a Dallas thing and it was certainly on display at the Meyerson this night. Knowing that the Meyerson is a symphony hall would invoke thoughts of tuxedos, spats and after five dresses. But the product offering inspired a less formal display of wardrobe; however still very stylish. From concert casual to nightclub cool, it was all on display.


All and all I suggest the Meyerson has become a premier venue, dare I say cool venue for non-classical offerings in Dallas. Definitely keep them in mind for your next date night.

See my review of the John Legend Concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment